Bates IM Volleyball provides students with the opportunity to play volleyball, regardless of ability. The games are played in the Gray Cage.
- Nets and game balls will be provided by the IM staff
- Indoor sneakers must be worn. Knee pads are recommended.
- The winner of the coin toss decides to either serve or receive at the start of the game
- There are 2 minutes between sets.
- There must be 6 players per team in play.
- There are 3 front row players and 3 back row players.
- If a libero is used, he/she must wear a different color shirt than the rest of the team.
- A team scores a point by successfully grounding the ball on the opponent’s court; when the opponent team commits a fault; when the opponent team receives a penalty.
- First team to 25 points wins that set. First team to win 5 sets wins the match. The 5th set is a game to 15 (switching sides at 7 points).
- Teams switch sides after each set.
- Blocking a serve is not allowed.
- Touching the net is a fault. If the net is touched the other team gets a point.
- You may not step across the center line to the other team’s side at any point during the match.
- The ball can only be contacted three times on each side of the net. The third contact must send the ball over the net, or a violation has been committed.
- Only one player can touch the ball at once.
- The ball can never be caught or thrown.
- The ball must cross into the other side of the court by going over the net. The ball also must stay between the 2 side antennas for it to stay in play.
- The server’s foot cannot cross into the court while serving. Touching the end line while serving is a fault.
- Players are not allowed to purposefully obstruct the view of the opposing players during a game. This is called screening.