Bates Indoor Soccer
Bates Indoor Soccer provides students with the opportunity to play soccer during the winter months regardless of ability. The games are held in the Gray Cage.
- Indoor, small-sided goals will be provided by the IM staff
- A soccer ball, size 4-5, will be provided by the IM staff
- Players will wear their team uniform – the same color and contrasting from the opponent. Indoor shoes are required. Shin guards are recommended.
- Goalkeepers will wear jerseys distinguished from both teams. Gloves are recommended.
- Teams play with 5 field players plus a goalkeeper.
** Teams must have at least 3 rostered players to begin a game **
- Co-Ed league games must have at least one male and female player on the field at all times.
- A goalkeeper may use his or her hands to control the ball, but must put the ball back into play within 6 seconds of receiving the ball.
- Games will consist of two 25 minute halves – running time - with a 5 minute halftime break
- If a game is tied at the end of regulation one, five-minute, sudden-death overtime period will be played.
- Teams will be awarded points based on the following set-up:
Win = 3points
Tie = 1 point
Loss = 0 points
- A kick-off at the center mark of the field will begin the game. Official will have a coin flip to indicate who will be the home/away teams. Home teams take the first half kick off. The away team kicks off in the second half.
- When the ball goes out of bounds, a kick-in will be used to restart play in the spot the ball went out of bounds. This pass is ‘free’ and cannot be stolen by the opponents.
** No throw-ins will be used during Indoor Soccer games **
- No player may use his or her hands to move the ball. The only exception is the goalkeeper. Goalkeepers may use their hands inside of the goalkeeper box.
- All free kicks during Indoor Soccer games are indirect, with the exception of a penalty kick
- Defensive players must give 10 feet of space from the ball during a free kick
- A penalty kick may be awarded by the official for the following offenses:
(1) A handball inside the goalkeepers box
(2) A flagrant foul inside the goalkeepers box
- A team scores by shooting or passes the ball behind the opponents’ goalkeeper into the net. This is worth one point.
- NO SLIDE TACKLING during indoor Soccer
- The officials’ have the authority to remove a player from a league game if their behavior is deemed unsafe. A two-minute penalty can also be enforced, during which time the team must play a player down.